Monday, November 5, 2007

Weather or Not

If you've never lived though a Michigan winter it's hard to describe how it completely drains your soul, crushes your spirit and strips you of all the will to live to see spring.

Sure, it starts off innocently enough, and the leaves changing is nice and the first big snowfall that covers everything looks awesome. The problem is that is lasts. For. Fucking. Ever.

Snow in October is rare but it happens. Snow in spring? I remember April of 2005. The first three weeks were gorgeous, filled with warm 55-degree days and sunshine.....and then there was a blizzard the last weekend of the month.

So let's say the temperature starts plummeting in October. It doesn't warm up again for five to six months. Three weeks straight of sub-freezing temperatures....weeks at at time without the sun...mountains of salty, slushy snow drifts. None of these are exaggerations.

Moving south to DC, one of the biggest things I looked forward to was the more moderate temperatures and the longer lasting springs and falls. And, as I was catching up with friends tonight, I learned a little something about the weather forecast for Ann Arbor.

It's supposed to fucking snow.

As I write this the current temperatures are:

Alexandria: 58 degrees.
Ann Arbor: 38 degrees. With a chance of snow showers.

I'm enjoying my new home.

10 comments:

DrunkBrunch said...

Um yeah. I'm flying home to the Midwest this weekend and my mom e-mailed to say that there's a chance of snow showers there.

It ruined my day.

Yes, I'll Have Another said...

I know. I'll be there for 10 days around Thanksgiving. It'll be nice to see my family and all but, shit, hold the snow please.

cheese said...

I remember one year (2002 maybe? 2001?) I went home from college for Easter. Had brunch with the family, and got in the car to head back to school. At home (Detroit), it wasn't bad....about 50 degrees, grey skys, not bad. I left my jacket in the back of my car since it was so nice.

On my way back to Hillsdale, it got cold. Then rainy. By the time I hit my side street to Hillsdale (over by the airport), I noticed icy/snowy conditions.

Granted, I was speeding. But I hit a black ice patch and started to fishtail. Then swerving over into the other lane (thank God no one was coming at me)....then off the road.

I got air. Under my Mazda mini-van...

Land in some people's yard, almost rolling the van. Stuck. Can't move.

So I go up to the people's house, knock on the door, and they JUST sat down to Easter dinner.

Nicest people ever. Immediately got up, got their tractor, and pulled me out of the snowy yard.

EASTER!!!

Yes, I'll Have Another said...

The best part of that story is that family pulling out the tractor to help you out. That pretty much represents the area where we went to college.

Also, just got a text from a friend, it's snowing in Michigan right now.

Hahahahahahahahaha. Suckers.

cheese said...

yeah, they were amazingly nice. Big ass turkey on the table, and they came out to help. Even offered me a jacket.

And the one comment they did have was "most of the time, the people hit the rocks". There were some big ass rocks about 20 feet from where I went off the road...

Oh, and after that event, I got 2 flat tires, but it fixed my allignment!

Yes, I'll Have Another said...

Wait, are you talking about that one road that ran from US-12 to that...um..one other road? It started with an "M" and you could kind of backdoor into town that way.

cheese said...

Yep....that's the one

Yes, I'll Have Another said...

May as well call that Suicide St.

cheese said...

yeah, but SUCH a great shortcut back to the 'dale

Kristina Donnelly said...

Yeah, well, you'll all be DYING to live here after global warming hits...Then the rest of us TRUE Michiganders'll just tell the rest of you to fuck off. This is my land now, bitches!

I'm kind of drunk, by the way. And fucking cold...