The question was coming at the end of the conversation. There was no getting around it. It had to be asked. The only question was simply, what was I going to say?
The woman sounded like she was in her early to late sixties. She had probably worked in that Philadelphia flower shop for years, maybe to supplement her husband's retirement pension, maybe just to get out of the house. She sounded very sweet, and she did an excellent job helping me find a wonderful arrangement to send to this particular woman.
I told her all the pertinent information: Where to deliver the flowers, how many, and then my credit card information. There was only one more thing to ask.
The Woman: "OK. And what would you like the card to say?
She heard nothing on the other end of the line. I paused. I didn't know what to say. I stammered a bit, deciding whether I should give this woman a good laugh and a funny story to pass around the florist on that Wednesday afternoon, or whether I should take an alternative route.
Because, in all honesty, the card should have been simple and to the point.
It should have said "Sorry I peed on you."
The woman sounded like she was in her early to late sixties. She had probably worked in that Philadelphia flower shop for years, maybe to supplement her husband's retirement pension, maybe just to get out of the house. She sounded very sweet, and she did an excellent job helping me find a wonderful arrangement to send to this particular woman.
I told her all the pertinent information: Where to deliver the flowers, how many, and then my credit card information. There was only one more thing to ask.
The Woman: "OK. And what would you like the card to say?
She heard nothing on the other end of the line. I paused. I didn't know what to say. I stammered a bit, deciding whether I should give this woman a good laugh and a funny story to pass around the florist on that Wednesday afternoon, or whether I should take an alternative route.
Because, in all honesty, the card should have been simple and to the point.
It should have said "Sorry I peed on you."
***
I only need three fingers to count the number of times where booze and alcohol have combined in me to force the loss of bladder control.
There was this night in college where I got drunk. Really drunk.
It was a Thursday night and, as part of initiation for the golf team, my teammates shaved my head. It looked absolutely ludicrous. I wore a hat out that night. Perhaps the trauma from exposing the egg-shape of my head to the world left me feeling a little vulnerable, a little self-conscious, and maybe I took a little comfort in slamming beer after beer from the keg during the party.
I awoke the next morning at about 5:30. It was odd that I would be up that early, but there I was, awake, in a wet puddle of my own pee. Only mildly ashamed -- I wasn't that big of a drinker back then and I didn't know how much booze would affect me -- I grabbed my sheets, threw them in a pile to wash later and retreated to the couch to finish sleeping.
Nobody knew. And it was the last time it would happened when nobody else would know about it.
It was a Thursday night and, as part of initiation for the golf team, my teammates shaved my head. It looked absolutely ludicrous. I wore a hat out that night. Perhaps the trauma from exposing the egg-shape of my head to the world left me feeling a little vulnerable, a little self-conscious, and maybe I took a little comfort in slamming beer after beer from the keg during the party.
I awoke the next morning at about 5:30. It was odd that I would be up that early, but there I was, awake, in a wet puddle of my own pee. Only mildly ashamed -- I wasn't that big of a drinker back then and I didn't know how much booze would affect me -- I grabbed my sheets, threw them in a pile to wash later and retreated to the couch to finish sleeping.
Nobody knew. And it was the last time it would happened when nobody else would know about it.
Last June, Cheese and I returned one night from a trip down to RFK to see our beloved Detroit Tigers play the Nationals.
There are three bathrooms in our house. One is on the first floor, one is in Cheese's room, and Princess and I share the third, which is upstairs in the hallway. For a few weeks before that night our bathroom upstairs wasn't working, and so we would either have to walk downstairs or just pop into Cheese's room and use his. That is the only possible explanation I can fathom for what happened next.
After the game we came home, had a few more beers and eventually I headed off to bed. Sleep came easy that night. I wasn't very drunk at all. There have been numerous occasions where my level of drunkenness rose much higher than that night.
The next thing I know I hear Cheese yelling "What the FUCK ARE YOU DOING?"
Me: "No, it's OK. It's..."
Cheese: "What the FUCK are you DOING??"
Me: "No, man, it's OK. I'm in the....the....."
It was at that second that I woke up in a daze. There I was. Standing in Cheese's room, over his couch. And I had just urinated all over it.
A bulk of the next day was spent not only looking for other places to live but also googling "Sleepwalking + Drunk + Pee + Couch." You'd be surprised.
Still, up to this point I have managed to keep the pee from hitting anyone else. A few months after the Pee Couch Incident, as it's now called, that would change.
Still, up to this point I have managed to keep the pee from hitting anyone else. A few months after the Pee Couch Incident, as it's now called, that would change.
***
The florist was waiting patiently for the answer. She worked with me patiently, even inquiring at one point what had transpired as the impetus for the flower arrangement. I told her it was a complicated story.
It was the previous Saturday. Heather was in town because she was looking forward to seeing an Irish drinking band she was fond of. It so happened that Michigan was playing that day and they were playing Notre Dame, a heated rivalry and one that concerned me, as at that point Michigan was 0-2.
This was an epic day of drinking. For myself: I would say upwards of around 20 beers, three of which were shotgunned, and three or four Red Bull and Vodkas.
And that was before we went to the bar.
Exactly. After nine straight hours of drinking, Heather suggests a brilliant idea: going to the bar to see the Irish drinking band, again. This was, at the time, I phenomenal idea. We call a cab and stumble our way out the door.
At the bar I alternate pints of Yeungling and Car Bombs.
I think. I don't really remember. The rest of the night is a blacked-out blur.
At the bar I alternate pints of Yeungling and Car Bombs.
I think. I don't really remember. The rest of the night is a blacked-out blur.
Next thing I know I Heather is shaking me out of a near-comatose sleep.
Heather: "Scott....Scott...get up....you just peed on me."
Indeed I did.
To be honest, I am not sure how many women would have been as cool as Heather was about it. She laughed it off, but made me promise to send flowers. Princess made it a little better by relating numerous stories of times her boyfriends have peed on her. It happens.
Heather's only requirement was that I send flowers.
***
Finally, I settled on something to tell the florist. I couldn't do it. I really, really wanted to give that florist a chuckle, but I wasn't sure if she had it in her, and I think it was probably a good idea not to fuel her already-shattered image of the generation following behind her.
Me: "Just say, 'Hope these brighten your day. S.'"
Good times.


15 comments:
ha! heather sounds like a keeper. ;)
Well, not to rain (sorry, poor choice of words) on Princess and Heather's parades, but I've pretty glad to say I've never been peed on. And if I was, I can't imagine my friends saying 'It happens.' Hope those were some nice flowers dude.
I'm still sans couch....
....she at least got flowers.
@SD: Yea, it um...it never worked out.
@Redhead: So sorry to hear that. Maybe, if you're lucky, your day will come. Although, based on your blogs, I don't think I would want to be the man who does that. I am pretty sure the words "Justifiable Homicide" would be applied.
@Cheese: I am ready to take care of it when you are. There'e no fucking way we're bringing Princess's chihuahuas to IKEA though.
On a scale of 1-10, this post rates about a 67. Pure high-larity. Cheese is much more mellow than I am, I think I would have just punched you in the back of the head.
@OTV: Thanks, man. I appreciate it. And yes, you're right, he probably couldn't have been cooler about it. To hear him describe it from his end is hilarious. I'll stand aside and leave him to tell it, if he so chooses.....Cheese?
OK, seriously, Cheese has been typing for 45 minutes....expect a fucking novel...
.....what.....what the....what's that sound? The fuck? Am I awake?
I look at the clock and its around 2:30 in the morning. I still hear the sound. Look around the room....
...see scott, standing about 10 feet away from me. still half-asleep. Still not sure about the sound.
...is he....is that....is someone peeing?
"What"?
"What the FUCK are you doing?"
"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!?"
Scott - "its okay...i'm in the..."
Me - "YOU'RE IN MY ROOM!!!"
Scott - "no, I'm in the...."
Me - WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?!?
Scott - It's okay...I'm in the...."
at that point I reach over and turn on the light next to my bed. I see scott, dick in hand, finishing his flow.
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!?
Its at that point that I see a complete and total change in Scott. It's like he snapped out of a drugged stuppor, or realized he just made a "your mom" joke, and realized someone in the room lost their mom a few weeks ago. Needless to say, he didn't know what he was doing at the time.
At that point he snapped out of it, and left my room, ashamed and shocked. I hear him head outside to have a cigarette.
I turn off the light and try to calm down a bit, but realize what will probably happen is that I'll wake up in the morning and sit on the couch in my usual routine. So the couch must get out of my room RIGHT NOW.
I turn on the light, and let out a good, loud "FUCK".
Start to move the couch. Get it stood up on its end. At that point I hear pee splash on my yearbooks under my couch. Another loud "FUCK".
Princess comes into the room and asks if everything is okay.
"Scott peed on my couch"
She apologizes, and retreats to her room.
I stand up the couch, and open my door. Scott is coming up the stairs and helps me get the couch out of my room. As soon as its out, I shut my door and go back to bed, furious still. It took a good hour to get back to sleep.
in hindsight, I'm actually still kinda glad about his aim.
If he had turned about 30 degrees to his right, he would have peed all over my brand new iMac.
@Cheese: Fucking. Awesome. That's funnier than it is from my side.
I swear no matter what it costs to replace the couch it is worth every goddamn dime, because 10 years from now I am going to read this and have a heart attack from laughing so hard.
yeah....not so funny on my end really
oh yeah, and my fucking dog....the PART PIT BULL.....doesn't even muster up a bark to let me know someone is coming into my room in the middle of the night...she's such a wuss.
Okay, I have got to start to reading your posts while at work. There is no reason why I should I have to wait until this late in the day to laugh my ass off.
I have a friend who is a drunken sleep-peer. He has probably fifty or sixty instances where he has pissed in the corner of people's rooms or in the bed he was sharing with someone. Hell, he even pissed in my wife's parents washing machine when he mistook it for a bathroom. That is not an easy smell to get rid of or explain. This has got to be one of the top 10 posts of all time.
PS:I would have gone with
"sorry for the golden shower" on the card.
@Harry: Brilliant with the Golden Shower card, I wish I had thought of that, and odds are that the old lady in the shoe wouldn't have known what it was. If so...well, that's a whole different post.
Yeam my former roommate once was a drawer pisser in the middle of the night. Fortunately, he moved out before he was able to spray down my clothes.
But hope spring eternal.
Some frat brothers decided to head from Michigan to the Outer Banks. After almost going to jail the first 15 minutes of Ohio, needless to say they were glad to get down there.
First night. Repeat - FIRST NIGHT in NC - my buddy T.S. mistakes someone's suitcase for a urinal.
Post a Comment