Tuesday, November 27, 2007

My Mitten

In a few hours I will will shove my suitcases into the car, ride along 94 East toward Detroit Metro, sit in the airport bar and have a few beers, hop on a plane and fly back to DC, my new home.

This will be my last trip to Michigan this year, and the last in I'm not sure how long. But upon my next return I pray that this state, the state of my home, will at least find some direction and climb itself out of the massive hole it finds itself in now.

See, for those of you unfamiliar, Michigan is struggling. Michigan is on life-support. Michigan needs help.

The downturn in the auto-industry has shuttered the once-resilient manufacturing base. The economic collapse here has forced companies to abandon the state in search of more viable land south. The job losses have precipitated banks foreclosing on people's houses.

People are starting to shake their heads, and people are starting to lose hope.

That's sad enough in the abstract, but today the concrete displayed itself when, while standing in line at a gas station, an aging man in his mid 50s handed a wrinkled $10 bill to the cashier, announcing he wanted $5 back, since it was all he could afford.

Living out of state, it's nice to run into people from Michigan. We exchange our home towns and talk about any time we may have spent there and any stories we have about out life living in the state. There is a certain pride that comes from the Michigan-born. And I have that pride.

That's why it's so tragic to see what my state has become.

This is where I was born. This is where I was raised. This is where I was educated, and where I educated. This is where I'm from. This is where I rode my first bike, kissed my first girl, drove my first car, met my first girlfriend and wore my first graduation cap. This is my state. And it's one of the saddest things to see my home state's political leaders leading it further into an abysmal abyss that, seemingly, has no end.

Right now we are the mockery of late-night talk show hosts and headlines in satirical newspapers. This shattered economy is showing no signs of a pulse and the slide will apparently continue.

A friend of my mom's was in New York for a business conference when the speaker asked if anyone was from Michigan. My mom's friend put her hand in the air. The speaker then went on to tell her she should leave. She said Michigan would take 30 years to recover from this fractured economic bone.

That better not be true. Something must be done. This state is worth more than a cavalier brush off.

I won't lie to you and tell you I have any answers. I don't. But somebody pretty damn smart better come up with some answers pretty damn quick. Michiganders as a whole are tough, resilient, kind, caring, thoughtful and hardworking. And the elected representatives of this state owe those people more than political discord and bickering. While Michigan continues to bleed out, Republicans and Democrats haggle over the size of the Band Aid to apply to the gunshot wound. Enough.

It's time to figure it the fuck out.

I love this state.

5 comments:

Kristina Donnelly said...

I feel you on this one, darlin'. I love this state too and I hate to see what's happening to it. I'll be here for the long haul, hopefully...trying to make things better.

I went to a talk a few weeks ago that said wind power and a switch to making hybrid cars was the answer. Fingers crossed on that one...

Anonymous said...

Great post. I can't say I know what you're going through entirely. I do remember what Southern California was like in the 90's. After the floods of '91, the riots of '92, the fires of '93, the earthquake of '94, and the collapse of the economy built on aerospace compnaies, people from SoCal were walking around like they just got punched in the gut while most new immigrants left for greener pastures in Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado. We were bailed out by the dot.com boom, and then bailed out of that bust by the housing boom. Now that that boom is collapsing who knows what will happen. I hope you guys find that something to pull you out of where you're headed. Good luck to you and yours.

Lauren said...

My parents are factory workers. The booming auto industry allowed for Ford Motor Company to pay for me to go to college; I feel sad for those kids that graduated from High School with me who followed their parents into the factories to inflated salaries, and great benefits.

I feel bad for my home state, and the condition of the economy. I am not sorry to say that I am happy to not live there anymore. The governor and our politicians have crafted everything so that we have some of the country's best schools and universities, but have no infrastructure or industries to support our nations educated when they graduate. For decades you could make more 'working on the line' than you could as a professional. It's a crying shame. And it's one of the many reasons I left despite how much I love the changing seasons, beaches, lakes, colors, 'mountains', and amazing people.

There is no other place on earth like Michigan, but it's even more terrible that everyone is willing to just let it lie there on the table and die.

Yes, I'll Have Another said...

@Tinadon: Yea, but somehow I feel the answer needs to be a little more than hybrid cars and windmills. But, whatever gets the ball rolling.

@Harry: Thanks man. Unfortunately it doesn't appear there will be any "boom" that can save Michigan, although you never know. Like I said, though, someone needs to figure it out. And thanks for the well wishes. Michigan needs them.

@BadGirl: Absolultely right. There has been talk in Michigan for the past five years about the "brain drain" as college graduates migrate south. It's too bad. But I agree with you, I am not sorry to say I don't live there anymore. And it's not a matter of me not loving Michigan, it's just that Michigan couldn't offer me what I needed or wanted. Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

When I finished college, all I wanted to do was move out of state. Once I left the state, all I wanted to do was move back. Now, I couldn't leave if I wanted to--try selling a condo right now. Still, I love it here. It's where I'm from too. It's part of who I am.