Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Half a year from hell

While I would like to be all manly about it and approach my 30th birthday with a measure of self-respect and dignity, I simply can't. I am not looking forward to it.

Today is my half-birthday. Today I am 29.5 years old. That means only 183 (leap year) days until I hit 30.

Back when I was in grade school and thought about what life would be like at this age I almost certainly pictured myself with a wife, a family, a multi-million dollar a year job, a big house and a mistress. Well, all except that last one. Maybe it's because, by this age, my father had all those things. Maybe I just naturally assumed life would be the same for me.

Funny how things turn out.

So, unless things drastically change by next April, my life will not be even close to how I pictured it. Don't get me wrong, that's fine (although the high-paying job would be nice.) I haven't met anyone I would want to marry and, as it stands, life without children is juuuust fine. I just thought it odd that life can take so many twists and turns and bring you to a place you never would have thought.

Maybe I am just too caught up with the theory that age should define how you act, and maybe I am not ready to deal without the "Hey, whatever, I was in my 20s" defense. I have talked to many people about how they felt when they turned 30. Some hated it, some were fine with it.

Based on this post, I think we know how I'll take it. (That's right, drunk in the bathtub in a pool of my own vomit......classy, no?)

Let the countdown continue.

7 comments:

onthevirg said...

You know, it's really not that big of a deal. I thought 30 was going to be some big, traumatic transition. When you reach that point man, it's just another day closer to dying.

Throw in a hooker and sounds like you've already got yourself a great B-day plan!

Yes, I'll Have Another said...

OTV: I think it bothers me the most that people will actually ask me how old I am and I will, reluctanlty, have to tell them.

"I'm 30."

Fuck it, I'm going to Vegas.

But thanks for the words of encouragement, man.

ThirtySomething Kat said...

Oops - I meant to leave that comment under THIS post - but I'm sure you can figure that out! Since I fucked that up...I might as well comment on your Am-bush post here:

I think that's AWESOME. I have this fantasy about doing that - though I never really could. I think it's cool that someone actually did. LOL. At least it wasn't some naassty, fat ass!!!

Yes, I'll Have Another said...

Kat: Regarding the comment above -- that's hot.

Regarding the other comment about turning 30 -- I appreciate it. I'm sure it will be better than I think it will be, but still, I'd rather have a few more years to figure things out before the transition. (And, yes, I also heard turning 35 sucks hardcore too.)

Anonymous said...

While I admit the first time someone wished me a happy 30th birthday I felt a little sick to my stomach ... they have been the best years of my life and you can get the life you pictured pretty quickly. I got engaged at 30 (my 30.5 birthday), married at 31 and I'll have my first kid at 32. Maybe Mr. Murdoch will decide I need a million-dollar raise when I'm 33 ...

Yes, I'll Have Another said...

JSV: I didn't say I wanted things to happen THAT fast. Wow, give me a few years. If I am engaged a year from now I will be, literally, stunned. But hey, you never know...

(Love the name, by the way. It's true.)

Sarah said...

So your dad had a mistress or not??

Can't really tell what you meant...

Could go either way.